Exercises for The Honey Hunter
A. How much did you understand?
The honey hunter looked for honey in the forest and in the mountains.
Put sentences 1, 2 and 3 in the right order.
- So the hunter made a fire.
- When he found honey, he collected it.
- So the hunter went home to find his sack.
There was a porcupine in the forest. She came to the tree and saw the honey that the hunter had left.
Put sentences 4, 5 and 6 in the right order.
- The hunter began to look for the porcupine. He looked in the forest.
- So the porcupine took the honey, and hid it.
- He looked carefully at the ground. He saw the marks of the porcupine's feet.
The hunter heard a noise inside the cave. He went into the cave. He saw an old woman.
Put sentences 7, 8 and 9 in the right order.
- "Your porcupine is a thief," he said. "She took my honey, and I want to find her."
- "Don't touch my porcupines. Don't hunt them. If you do, trouble will come to you."
- "I saw the marks of a porcupine under the tree."
B. Mixed sentences
The witch put some bread into the hunter's hand. He ran out of the cave. At once, he changed into a porcupine.
Now complete sentences 1, 2, 3, with the best endings from a, b, and c.
- There was no hair on his head now, ……
- Quickly, the porcupine man ran to the river, ……
- He lived in the forest, ……
- …… and he ate fruits and leaves from the trees.
- …… but sharp quills grew all over his body.
- …… and jumped into the water.
C. Missing words
Fill in the missing words from the story.
- In the old days, there was a honey hunter. He went to the forest and looked in the ……
- One day, the bird called the honey hunter to a big tree. …… were flying round the tree.
- "There's honey in this tree," the honey hunter thought. "I will make a ……"
- Soon, there was a big …… of honey under the tree.
- "I can't carry all this honey in my hands," he thought. "I need my …… sack."
- "Where is my honey?" the hunter thought angrily. "A …… has taken it."
- "The thief is not a man," he thought. "It's a ……”
- At last he came to a …… He heard a noise inside it.
- The hunter went into the cave. He saw an old woman. She was baking ……
- The witch said, "The porcupines are mine. Human people have sheep and goats, but we witches keep porcupines. We …… them."
D. What do you think?
How did the little bird help the honey hunter?
Was the porcupine really a thief?
Why did the witch tell the honey hunter not to touch her porcupines?
Do you think that the porcupine man still hunts in the forest?