Exercises for The Leopard and the Squirrel
A. How much did you understand?
Three of these sentences about the story are false. Which are they?
- The leopard and the squirrel both looked after the same herd of goats.
- The leopard and the squirrel looked after the goats on different days.
- The leopard was cleverer than the squirrel at looking after the goats.
- The squirrel’s mother helped her to find food for the goats.
- The leopard believed the squirrel’s story about the branding iron.
- The squirrel called her mother to come down from the tree and the leopard killed her.
- The squirrel had red eyes because she had put medicine in them.
- "You won't like the medicine," the squirrel said to the leopard.
- The squirrel blinded the leopard by putting hot stones on his eyes.
- "My mother will bring back your eyes," the squirrel said to the leopard.
B. Answers with "because"
Choose the right ending to these sentences from the list below.
- The goats ate well when they went out with the squirrel because……
- The leopard was angry with the squirrel because……
- The leopard killed the squirrel's mother because……
- The squirrel began to cry because……
- The leopard wanted the medicine because……
- The squirrel put hot stones in the leopard's eyes because……
- ……he wanted to become big and strong.
- ……he wanted to punish the squirrel.
- ……her mother threw leaves down from the trees.
- ……the squirrel was not telling the truth.
- ……she wanted to punish the leopard.
- …….her mother was dead.
C. What do you think?
What is the moral of this story? What does it teach us?
Can you think of another title to this story?