Exercises for The Lion's Whiskers
A. How much did you understand?
In this story the woman had a cruel husband. He shouted at her, and he beat her.
She asked several people for help.
Put sentences 1, 2 and 3 in the right order.
- So the woman went to see the wise man.
- She went to see her family.
- She went to see her neighbours.
The woman decided to feed the lion. She threw meat to the lion.
Put sentences 4, 5 and 6 in the right order.
- On the seventh day, the lion finished eating, then he lay down on the ground and went to sleep.
- The lion roared again, but his roar was quieter now.
- The lion roared when he saw the woman, but he took the meat, and ate it hungrily.
The woman took the lion's whiskers to the wise man.
Put sentences 7, 8 and 9 in the right order.
- “Now you can tame your husband. Be clever with him, like you were with the lion.”
- “Now will you give me some medicine for my husband?"
- “At first, he roared at me, but then he began to trust me.”
B. What? How? Why?
The woman asks herself several questions.
Complete sentences 1, 2, and 3 with How? What? or Why?
- “I am never angry with my husband. But he always beats me. Why? …… have I done?"
- "My husband beats me," she told them. "What can I do? …… can I stop him?”
- "My husband is always angry," she told them. "…… is he so cruel to me?"
C. Missing words
The woman went home slowly. She was thinking. "Steal a lion's whiskers? How can I do that?"
Fill in the missing words.
- The woman chose a big …… from the flock and killed it.
- The woman cut off a piece of ……, and threw it to the lion.
- The next day, the woman came back to the …… with more meat for the lion.
- Now the lion did not …… at all when he saw the woman.
- The woman waited in the tree. Then she threw a …… at the lion.
- She went to the lion, and pulled the …… from his face.
- The next day, she took the lion's whiskers to the …… man.
- “Now will you give me some …… for my husband?"
D. What do you think?
How did the woman get the trust of the lion?
Do you think she was clever?
Do you think that she will get her husband’s trust?
Do you think that she will tame her husband?