Exercises for The Trees and the Axe
A. How much did you understand?
Read sentences 1, 2 and 3 below. Now put them in the right order.
- The axe is our enemy!
- But only bent wood can make axes.
- Years ago, we used to live in peace.
Now put sentences 4, 5 and 6 in the right order.
- We must kill the axe!
- I’m going to grow straight.
- The head is made of metal, but the handle is made of wood.
B. Now put all six sentences in the right order
C. Finish these sentences
Complete sentences 1, 2 and 3 by choosing the best of the three endings: a, b or c
- Years ago there were trees everywhere …...
- The axe is too strong for us ......
- The eucalyptus grew straight ......
- …… but the other trees grew in the old way.
- …… but now axes have cut them down.
- …… and we are too weak.
D. What do you think?
Find a classmate or a friend to talk with.
What do you think of the eucalyptus tree’s solution?
Why didn’t the other trees listen to the eucalyptus?
What will happen to all the trees that grow with bendy trunks and branches?
Can you think of another title to the story?
Can you think of another solution so that the trees can stay alive?