Answers to the Exercises for Sinziro and his Brothers
A. How much did you understand?
Here is the right order for sentences 1,2 and 3.
- “Please, I pray you, send me one more son.”
- "We'll call him Sinziro," his mother said.
- Sinziro was small but he was very clever, and his mother and father loved him very much.
Here is the right order for sentences 4,5 and 6.
- His brothers were jealous.
- "Why do our parents love you?"
- “You are no bigger than a rat."
Here is the right order for sentences 7, 8 and 9.
- “Let's go to his compound tonight and steal two of his bulls.”
- "I wish Sinziro was here," one of the brothers said. "He's clever. He could get into this compound."
- "But how can you go into the compound?" the third brother said. "The door is locked."
Here is the right order for sentences 10, 11 and 12.
- Sinziro climbed up to the door and opened it. Then he began to drive two fat bulls out of the compound.
- "Don't worry, sir," Sinziro called out. "Our two big bulls were lost, but I found them. I am bringing them back to you now."
- Quietly, Sinziro drove the two bulls out of the compound. His brothers were very happy.
B. Complete these sentences
Here are the best endings to sentences 1, 2 and 3.
- 1/c. So Sinziro and his brothers drove the bulls far away from the enemy’s house.
- 2/a. “Hold the rope, and walk across the river.”
- 3/b."If you won't give me any meat," he said to them, “at least give me the bladder of one of the bulls.”
C. Who said these sentences? Who were they speaking to?
- "I'll punish my brothers for this," Sinziro said to himself.
- "At least give me the bladder of one of the bulls," Sinziro said to the seven brothers.
- "A bladder? No one wants to eat that," the seven brothers said to Sinziro.
- "Please, don't beat me, sir!" Sinziro said to the enemy, but he was really speaking to his seven brothers.
- "Now all the meat is for me," Sinziro said to himself.