Exercises for The People of the Sea
A. How much did you understand?
In the old days the people knew about the trees and plants. They understood the animals and the fish.
Put sentences 1, 2 and 3 in the right order.
- They were waiting to catch the fish.
- People used to go to the river and collect fruit from the birabira tree.
- They were putting birabira fruit into the water.
The water was rising faster and faster. It was coming up, over the edge of the river.
Put sentences 4, 5 and 6 in the right order.
- Now the people changed. Some of them became elephants. Some became crocodiles.
- Then the waters came together again, over the heads of the people.
- The river was not a river now. It was a great sea.
B. The fruit from the birabira tree.
In the story the people used to go to the river and collect fruit from the birabira tree.
Now match sentences 1, 2, and 3 with sentences a, b and c.
- They put the fruit in the river.
- The people were frightened.
- And some of them grew long tails.
- They wanted to run away.
- The fruit confused the fish.
- They were monkeys.
C. Missing words
Fill in the missing words in these sentences.
- There was water to the left, and water to the right. But in the middle was a ……
- Then the waters came together again, over the …… of the people.
- Now the people changed. Some of them became …… Some became ……
- The animals stayed in the water. They built …… there.
D. What do you think?
What do you think of the ending to this story?
Do you think that the animals are still there, under the sea?