Answers to the Exercises for The Merchant and the King
A. How much did you understand?
- Every year, a merchant left home and travelled through the whole land of Ethiopia.
- The merchant saw a man in a field, who was pulling a plough.
- The farmer was beating the man with a stick.
- When the merchant returned to Sidama, he remembered the man tied to the plough.
- The merchant stood inside the gate of the palace and waited.
- The merchant and the king ate and drank together, and talked for a long time.
- The merchant went to the old king's grave, and he read the words on the gravestone.
- The merchant met a boy, who said to him, "This town is growing bigger."
- There were words over the door of the building. They said, "Everything changes."
B. Who is talking?
- "You lazy man! Pull my plough!"
- "Don't cry for me, my friend.”
The poor man
- "You are a man, not an animal."
- "God looked down from Heaven and was sorry for him."
- "Who is that man? Bring him to me."
- "Now I am here again, I asked for news of you."
- "Come and sit beside me, my friend."
- "This is our new king."
- "Where is the old king's grave?"
- "We have new town plan now."