Answers to the Exercises for The Longest Pole in the World
A. How much did you understand?
- 1/d The new king did not like his father's advisors because he thought they were too clever and he did not trust them.
- 2/c The soldiers killed some Mattoni people because they refused to leave the country.
- 3/e The king wanted a big, beautiful palace because the kings of other countries had big palaces.
- 4/a The king needed a very long pole because the pole would make the pillar in the middle of the palace.
- 5/b The king's servants travelled through the forest because they were looking for the tallest tree in the world.
- 1/c The king's servants did not go home to their families because they were afraid that the king would kill them.
- 2/d The people ran away from the king's servants because they were frightened of them.
- 3/a At first, the king's servants did not want to talk to the young man because his clothes were old and dirty.
- 4/e The servants couldn't tell the king that their pole was the longest in the world because they didn't have a measuring rod.
- 5/b The king's servants were very happy because at last they could go home to their families.
- 1/d The king was happy when he saw his servants because he thought they had found the longest pole in the world.
- 2/c The king was angry because he thought his servants were playing a trick on him.
- 3/e The servants told the king about the boy in the forest because he threatened to kill them.
- 4/a The king saw that the boy was not a Manno boy because his face was not like a Manno face, and his voice was not like a Manno voice.
- 5/b The king was ashamed because he had been wrong to punish the Mattoni people.
B. Where, who, what
Answer these questions
- The Manno people were tanners. What did they make?
- When the king sent the Mattoni people away, where did they go?
Into the forest
- Who looked after the little Mattoni boy?
A kind Manno family
- The king wanted something big and beautiful. What was it?
- What did the king need to make the pillar of his palace?
A long pole
- Where did the king's servants go to look for the pole?
Into the forest
- The king's servants came to a village. Who lived there?
Manno people and the Mattoni boy
- What did the king's servants fetch, before they began to sing and dance?
- Who went to the forest, to find the Mattoni boy?
- After his return from the forest, where did the Mattoni boy live?
In the palace with the king