Answers to the Exercises for Gany-Nyang and the Hyena
A. How much did you understand?
The right order of the sentences is 3, 4, 6, 5, 7, 2, 1, 8.
Gany-Nyang and his sons went into the forest to hunt.
"I'm sorry," he said. "It's only a hyena."
"We are Nuer, and the Nuer don't eat hyenas."
"Cut off the hyena's head and throw it away."
"Now cut off the legs and throw them away."
"Does it look like a bushbuck?"
"If it's a bushbuck, we can eat it."
So Gany-Nyang's sons skinned the hyena and cooked it and ate it.
B. True or false?
- Gany-Nyang and his sons hunted for many days before they shot the hyena.
False. They hunted all day, from early in the morning until late in the evening.
- Gany-Nyang and his sons began to argue.
- "Cut off the hyena's head," said one of Gany-Nyang's sons.
False. "Cut off the hyena's head," said Gany-Nyang.
- Gany-Nyang's sons cut off the hyena's tail.
- Gany-Nyang and his sons ate the hyena.