Answers to the Exercises for The Lion's Whiskers
A. How much did you understand?
The right order of the sentences is 2, 3, 1.
She went to see her family.
She went to see her neighbours.
The woman went to see the wise man.
The right order of the sentences is 6, 5, 4.
The lion roared when he saw the woman, but he took the meat, and ate it hungrily.
The lion roared again, but his roar was quieter now.
On the seventh day, the lion finished eating, then he lay down on the ground and went to sleep.
The right order of the sentences is 8, 9, 7.
“Now will you give me some medicine for my husband?"
“At first, he roared at me, but then he began to trust me.”
“Now you can tame your husband. Be clever with him, like you were with the lion.”
B. What? How? Why?
Complete sentences 1, 2, and 3 with How? What? or Why?
- “I am never angry with my husband. But he always beats me. Why? What have I done?"
- "My husband beats me," she told them. "What can I do? How can I stop him?”
- "My husband is always angry," she told them. "Why is he so cruel to me?"
C. Missing words
- The woman chose a big goat from the flock and killed it.
- The woman cut off a piece of meat, and threw it to the lion.
- The next day, the woman came back to the tree with more meat for the lion.
- Now the lion did not roar at all when he saw the woman.
- The woman waited in the tree. Then she threw a stick at the lion.
- She went to the lion, and pulled the whiskers from his face.
- The next day, she took the lion's whiskers to the wise man.
- “Now will you give me some medicine for my husband?”