Answers to the Exercises for The Ungrateful Snake
A. How much did you understand?
The right order of these sentences is 2, 3, 1
"You can go fast along the road. But I don't have legs."
"It’s not easy for you. I will carry you on my head."
"Get off my head now. I have carried you a long way."
The right order of these sentences is 6, 5, 4
"Don't try to take me off. If you do, I will bite you."
"Please don't bite me. Let's go and find a judge."
"But the snake did not thank me for it. He is ungrateful."
The right order of these sentences is 7, 9, 8
"You invited him to sit on your head. You cannot ask him to go."
"I don't want to be his enemy. He will come and bite me when I am asleep."
"I don't agree with you. Look, there is the leopard. We'll ask him."
The right order of these sentences is 12, 10, 11
"I was sorry for the snake. I picked him up and carried him on my head."
"I can't hear you. You can't talk easily with the snake on your head."
“You have saved my life. What can I give you? Do you want a sheep?"
B. Who is speaking?
The two speakers in sentences 1, 2 and 3 are the man and the snake.
The two speakers in sentences 4, 5, and 6 are the man and the snake.
The three speakers in sentences 7, 8 and 9 are the man, the elephant and the lion.
The two speakers in sentences 10, 11 and 12 are the fox and the man.
C. What were they feeling?
Fill the gaps in these sentences with words from the story to show what the man and the animals were feeling.
- The snake looked up at the man and said to him, "The stones hurt me, and I am very tired."
- The man said, "I can't carry you any more." The snake was angry.
- The man could see the snake's small angry eyes, and the snake's long tongue. He was frightened.
- "The snake is right," the elephant said at last. The snake was happy.
- So the man and the snake told their story to the leopard, and to the hyena, to the baboon and to the buffalo. All of them were frightened of the snake.
- "I was sorry for the snake," said the man. "I picked him up and carried him on my head.”
- The man said, "What can I give you. Do you want a sheep?" The fox was happy.